Level 1 Diploma in Sport and Active Leisure
To introduce learners of varying abilities to the sport and active leisure sector. Learners will find out about their own fitness and how the body works through participation in a variety of fitness activities by planning and using their own fitness programme. They will also learn about rights and responsibilities at work, together with health and safety. Learners will have the chance to explore job opportunities in sport and active leisure and choose units relating to taking part in sport, assisting an activity leader, preparing physical activities for children and preparing for a work placement.
This qualification will enable learners to make informed choices about progression onto higher level qualifications and/or employment in the sector.
Learners will cover:
- functions of the skeletal, muscular and cardio-respiratory systems
- requirements of a healthy diet
- different exercise and fitness activities and facilities
- the workplace: risks and hazards, employee rights and responsibilities
- physical activities for children and the role of the adult
- how to support a leader of a sports or active leisure activity
Skills relating to the qualification:
- review own performance when taking part in sport
- plan and prepare physical activities for children
- plan, use and review own fitness programme
- assist in planning and delivering a sports activity
- set goals for a work placement